Name: Pepper Research and Development Center (PRDC)
- Establishment Decision:
Pepper Research and Development Center belonging to Western Highlands Agriculture and Forestry Science Institute (WASI) was establish under the Decision No. 947/QD-BNN-TCCB on March 25th, 2015 of the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Ministry
- Address: 322 Truong Chinh Street, Pleiku City, Gia Lai Province, Vietnam.
- : (+84) 2693 747 758 Fax: (+84) 2693 747 758.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
- Website: prdc.org.vn
2. Organizational structure
The Center consists of a Board of Managers, 02 Supporting Divisions, 02 Research Divisions and 01 Experimental Station.
Total personnel: 27, including 09 MSc., 13 Bachelors and 5 others).
2.1 Leaders of the Center
– MSc. Nguyen Quang Ngoc – Vice Director
– MSc. Nguyen Tran Quyen – Vice Director
2.2 Leaders of supporting and research divisions
– Ms. Nguyen Thi Hang – Chief Accountant, Head of General Division
– MSc. Nguyen Van Long – Head of Technology Transfer Division
– MSc. Nguyen Tran Quyen – Head of Cultivation and Plant Protection Division.
– MSc. Duong Thi Oanh – Head of Breeding Division
– Mr. Nguyen Viet Vinh – Head of Experimental station
– Headquarters of the Center locates on No. 322 Truong Chinh street, Pleiku city, Gia Lai province with total area of 4.220 m2 and sufficient infrastructures for research. Currently, the Center is enhancing the training for staffs and preparing laboratories with modern equipment for research and analysis of soil fertility and to give fertilization guidelines and methods of plant protection.
– Ia Kha Experimental station locates at Ia Kha town, Ia Grai district, Gia Lai province with total area of 25 ha (15 km far from Pleiku city). In the experimental station, there is farming systems of coffee, black pepper, avocado, macadamia, cocoa, and annual crops. It also includes the nursery and garden for research and experiment on breeding, cultivating and producing seedlings.
Experimental Station of the Pepper Research and Development Center
3. FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
Build up projects and programs on scientific research and technology transfer of black pepper and other crops; obtain the approvalfrom authorized organization and perform these tasks in accordance with guidelines;
Conduct scientific research for black pepper on breeding, protecting plants from pests and diseases; giving cultivation methods and postharvest technologies; Study on market economy and production development strategy for black pepper;
Cooperate with international organizations, consult science, transfer advanced technology and train staffs of the Center on black pepper;
Perform experiments, apply cultivation techniques and protect crops from pests and diseases;
Consult, provide services and transfer advanced cultivation technology from the research achievements in the Central Highlands and other projects of WASI
4. SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH AND TRANSFER TECHNOLOGY
PRDC has been cooperated with several agricultural research Institutes, Universities and Centers to lead several studies, to train staffs and to transfer advanced technologies.
4.1. Plant breeding
- Research and collect a group of black pepper varieties, select the germplasm qualified for good varieties.
- Research and collect black pepper varieties specified for rootstocks and technical solutions to control slow decline (caused by fungus, nematode and/or mealy bugs).
- Research on black pepper selection and bredding and integrated technical approaches for sustainable black pepper development.
- Collaborate with WASI to implement selected projects and evaluate Robusta and Arabica varieties in Gia Lai and Kon Tum provinces. Assess and localize several selected Robusta varieties such as TR4, TR5, TR9, TR10, TR11, TR12, TR13, TRS1synthesis seeds and late mature varieties.
- Perform provincial science projects of Kon Tum and Gia Lai Provinces on coffee, black pepper, avocado and rice, etc. and apply these projects’ outcomes to production.
- Study to select nematode resistant coffee clones; study integrated technical approaches for replanting coffee, saving input cost and conducting intensive farming to improve coffee quality.
- Study and assess growth and productivity capacity of avocado and macadamia varieties in natural conditions of Gia Lai province in order to diversify crop structure and export.
- Develop, collect and preserve germplasm for perennial and annual crops
4.2. Cultivation techniques
- Test fertilizer, conduct saving irrigation and apply advanced technology to black pepper and coffee.
- Build up coffee nursery and garden to produce coffee scions for grafting and high quality coffee varieties for Gia Lai and Kon Tum provinces.
- Study and test several biological by-products for cultivation such as bio-product Metarzhyum to prevent cicada on coffee, bio-product Peascylomyces to prevent disease caused by nematode on black pepper and coffee.
4.3. Technological transfer and agricultural extension.
- Build up pilots and agricultural extension projects on integrated pest management by biological approach and water saving irrigation on coffee and black pepper;
- Build up pilots of water saving irrigation and fertilization for coffee and black pepper;
- Build up a pilot of replanting Robusta in Gia Lai Province
- Transfer advanced technologies of Robusta intensive farming on fertilizing based on soil fertility, cutting and grafting to improve ineffective coffee plantations for companies, farms and farmers in Gia Lai and Kon Tum provinces.
- Build up projects on crop structure shift and rural development in Gia Lai province;
- Participate in programs on training techniques for farmers, for technical staffs and guiding students on coffee and black pepper.
- Participate in television program and reporting in order to support technical advances and promote the name of the Center to farmers.
4.4. Activities on business and services
- Business activities of the Center include trading of seedlings, seeds, foliar fertilizers specialized for coffee and black pepper for replanting and coffee sustainable production. The Center provides annually from 2 to 3 tons of TRS1 coffee seeds, thousands of scions and seedlings of coffee, avocado, and black pepper; ton thousands of by-products and micro-biological fertilizers for Gia Lai and Kon Tum provinces.
- Many contracts on transferring advanced technologies in production have been signed.
- The soil and fertilizer analysis division of the Center starts receiving and analyzing soil samples, and provides farmers with guidelines of proper fertilizing dose for each type of crops.